Speaker, Author/ Senior Campaign Manager
- Current Employer(s): Self-employed DBA Desire To Inspire / Gannett
- Bio: Jamilla D. Brooks is a native to beautiful Southwest Florida. She is a first generation Hall of Fame graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University who knows the importance of Foundation Scholarships because they aided her in earning her MBA and B.S. in Marketing with minors in Advertising and Creative Writing. (Go EAGLES!!!)As an Inspirational Difference Maker, Actress, Mentor, Philanthropist, Spoken Word Christian Poet, Speaker, Runner, Certified Personal Trainer, and Author of the book “Beautiful You Are! Inspired Poems,” she has been able to perform and speak in many different venues with her “Desire To Inspire.” Desire To Inspire (www.desiretoinspireyou.com) was founded by Jamilla September 2011 with the purpose of making a difference.Jamilla fell in love with writing at a young age and always has had aspirations of being published. This goal became a reality when her poem, “Changing History” was selected for inclusion in Broadsides Poetry Off The Shelf 2017, artists take the selected poems and create original pieces of art inspired by the poems. These original pieces were on display at the Alliance for the Arts in January 2017.She has also been featured as a Guest Columnist for Southwest Florida Business Today! She was featured on the front page of Southwest Florida Business Today for being one of thirty in the 2017 SWFL Distinguished Entrepreneurs class.
In 2015, she landed her first role in the indie film Hanging Millstone and on January 2, 2016 she landed her second film and first on-screen performance in the short film Ring. It’s exciting to be a part of two award winning films.
Jamilla also serves as a Senior Campaign Manager for Central Ad Operations at Gannett who is a part of the USA Today Network. She started with the company in January 2012.
Jamilla is a person who loves to laugh as well as make others laugh. She loves meeting new people and hopes to travel the world speaking the gospel of Loving Thyself! Her life-long goal is to make a difference in the lives of the people she encounters!
Jamilla enjoys the sunshine, writing on the beach, running 5Ks, and she is looking forward to many adventures with Jerry, her loving dog in her Subaru that she calls Jack!
“It starts with you…It ends with you…It becomes YOU!” ~ Desire To Inspire
- Community Involvement: Jamilla is very involved in her community. Giving has always been important. She gives of her time, knowledge, and financially.
• 2014 to present – Mentor (Big Sister) in the Big Brother Big Sisters Organization
• 2012 to present –10 hours of community service each year in place of work hours
o The Foundation For Lee County Schools (2012)
o Salvation Army Christmas Cheerland (2013-present)
o Elementary School Career Day Speaker (May 2017)
• 2016 – Fundraised over $600 Runners for Cancer Research for the American Association for Cancer Research to run in the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November
• 2016 April – Founded the Inspirational Run Club
• 2013 to present – Gulf Coast Writers Association Member
• 2012 to present – Fort Myers Track Club Member
• 2012 to 2016 – Toastmasters member, Past President
• June 2016 – Boys & Girls Club Youth of the Year Attended
- Favorite things to do outside of work: Movies, Running & Exercise, Travelling, Volunteering, Writing, Discovering New Restaurants, and attending Art and Culture events!
- Favorite quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” ~ Gandhi Personal quote that I carry with me: “Don’t always ASK for Blessings, Be a Blessing and you will be Blessed!” ~ Jamilla D. Brooks
- What does SWFL mean to you: HOME…FAMILY… COMMUNITY…. Growing up here I just wanted to move to another city but I learned to LOVE my city! See We Fell in Love (SWFL)
- Best advice you’ve received: This is hard to narrow down for me because I am always learning… One of my favorite pieces of advice I received came from my high school Algebra Teacher Ms. McDill, “Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land among the STARS!” This powerful message has stuck with me to this day and I continue to shoot for the moon!
- What drives you: The desire to make a difference in the world by shining my light and inspiring others to shine their light!
- Biggest influences: Oprah Winfrey, Teachers & Mentors, Leava (my aunt) and Dorothy (my grandmother).
- Last book read: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer and currently reading Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton.